Priority: Should have
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 2.31.0
Sprint:Sprint #131, Sprint #132, Sprint #133
P4 site:All sites
P4 Test Environment:phobos
Last year we started tracking a few click events on selected Planet 4 sites via Google Tag Manager, often based on the element's IDs or classes. This usually demands an extensive custom setup in Tag Manager and is often less accurate.
As suggested by Pieter Vincent and Sagar Deshmukh, we can work with data-* attributes instead of dataLayer events. This should facilitate the implementation while also allowing some more flexibility when setting up the events tags in Google Tag Manager.
The idea is to implement a set of new data attributes with standard values. These will be used later to trigger events and define its category, action and label.
- Example: See image attached for using GTM's dataLayer variable to extract data attributes (gtm.element.dataset.target)
- Implement data-attributes on elements:
- Implement data-attributes with the following standard values:
data-ga-category data-ga-action data-ga-label Menu Navigation Greenpeace Logo
Open Country Selector
Close Country Selector
Here are the screenshot linking the design elements (both for mobile and desktop) with the data-ga-action standard value:
To view all data attributes standards structure proposed: "P4 Events Standards - 2020 Review"
- Julia should create the Google Tag Manager setup in all P4-NRO's containers.
- Investigate and communicate with NROs using child themes to apply the same data attributes